Saturday, August 23, 2014

Correct belief or a plum

I'm reading through the book of Matthew.

There appears to be a theme in Jesus's teachings and his parables that I have noticed regarding life and fruitfulness. 

When he discusses the kingdom he uses metaphors about things growing like seeds and fruit.  There's weeds and wheat, mustard seeds and fig trees. There are vineyards to work in and to harvest.  And then of course we ourselves are branches.  

It seems the kingdom of God is like growing fruit; a way of living rather than thinking. Less about a correct belief system and more about who we are.

We have a plum tree on our property.  Two years ago we had a heavy snow.  The snow fall was so great the tree could not hold it and it bent over under its weight.  And there it sits out our kitchen window today; a leaning crooked tree... but still alive.

In the spring it still flowers.  And it grows as many plums as it always has.  Maybe more.

Today I stood there looking at that leaning tree beat up by the winter.  I could smell the fruit.  So I picked one and took a bite.  It was perfect.

So maybe as Jesus taught, living out the kingdom is something like that.

Plum fruit.

If somebody asks me what it is to be a Christian, maybe I'll be less likely to pull out some correct system of belief or doctrine or creed.  

Maybe I just won't speak.

I'll just hand them a plum.


No comments:

Post a Comment