Sunday, July 27, 2014

Going off the grid... Well sort of

I decided to go off the grid.  

I've heard of people taking a break from Facebook, or the Internet.  But I don't belong to any of those social media sites, so I just decided to turn off my phone.  

For 48 hours.

I didn't do anything dangerous; no cliff diving, bungee jumping, or jumping out of an airplane.  The most dangerous thing that happened was I got stung by a bee. But that's because I like to walk around my 5 acres barefoot.  You see there are some risks I'm willing to take. 

So what did I discover? That I still love the same things I always have.  Waking up to a good cup of coffee, reading my Bible, praying, kayaking, bike riding, playing my guitar, good red wine (no surprises there), even mowing the lawn.

While I was out running I came across a baby colt.  It came up and looked as if it wanted to talk to me.  I stuck my hand through the fence and it let me rub its head and touch it's face for five minutes.  It was a simple sweet profound moment.

I went to the local hardware store to pick something up.  And there up on the wall was an archery set.  I used to love archery when I was a kid at YMCA camp. So I bought it.  I picked up three bales of straw and built myself a target.  After a few rounds I got the hang of it again.  And what do you know; I'm actually pretty damn good.

So I think I'm probably going to go off the grid every now and then.  I would recommend it.

It's really quite simple actually.

You just push a button on your phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment